Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Shots Heard Round The Golf World




Thanks to Charter Communication's lack of 'communication,' I haven't been able to get on the 'net to share my thoughts on all the Masters shenanigans. Honestly....no television, either. I had to catch the coverage at the public course's clubhouse down the street with their boisterous Men's Club providing commentary. It was awesome. And so was this year's Masters. Whether it was Billy Payne's hypocrisy, Ricky Barnes' belt buckle or golf writer Dan Jenkins' racist Tweets, there's a lot that needs to be addressed. I've decided to carve out some time in my afternoons this week (when I'm usually napping under my desk) to collect my thoughts and share some of the golf-related goodness out there on the world wide web.


First, Rick Reilly's recap and perspective on Sunday at Augusta. If Phil is the Thrill, is Tiger the Sullen...?

I love golf. I love the majors. I think Augusta National GC is one the most beautiful courses I've ever seen and hope to get there some day, but Chairman Billy Payne's scolding of Tiger was disgusting and is yet another instance where the club's elitist attitude has left a bad taste in my mouth after a tremendous tourney. While practically comical, his remarks reeked of a hypocrisy that few - the media included -addressed. Why not? The Chairman of a club that doesn't allow women scolds Tiger for the way he treated women?? Ha! Talk about writing checks your body can't cash. Look, I have no problem with a bunch of stuck-up Southern 'gentlemen' wanting to have guy time and tell nasty jokes to one another. I covet and cherish my guy time. But, Billy, please don't publicly lecture us on what our children's role models should or shouldn't be doing. Perhaps most of the media were too caught up in the actual GOLF going on to cover this. I know I was. It finally took the fired-up, non-golf writer, Bill Simmons, to put this into perspective for me on Monday. Check it out here.

Did you hear about esteemed golf writer Dan Jenkins' Racist Tweet Ha! Granted, I think we're all getting a little too racially sensitive these days, but seriously, dude, way to be a professional and prove that the golf world isn't just a bunch of Billy Paynes. We're all really impressed. He HAD to be boozing for this to happen, right?


An authentic (WORN) Green Jacket is being auctioned at
American Memorabilia. Current bid is $1,750. They don't tell us who wore it or when it was worn. So its some dead member's jacket and this is how they plan to cover some of the estate taxes? Hmmm...and its a size 58....No thanks.



I had a friend point out that Ricky Barnes was wearing a "69" belt buckle on Sunday. If that doesn't cement his L7 weenie-status, then I'm sure this 2002 photo we found of him will. Yes, ladies, he's jumping rope with a 5-iron.


Finally, John Tesh puts all our suspicions to rest by confirming that he did, in fact, date Oprah....Winfrey. Oprah, we hope you wore a condom.

No comments:

Post a Comment